Is money evil?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crash's picture
Crash
Is money evil?

Hi there,

I am atatching an article I have just written called "Is money evil?". I am aware that there are probaby 100 articles on the internet with this title, but I hope I bring a new flavour to the debate. Any comments on it are gratefully received

best wishes,

Crash

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Re: Is money evil?

Why are you posting this as a word file? Many people won't download it because they have a fear of computer viruses.

Crash's picture
Crash

Its rather long and isn't on the internet so I can't post a URL. Do you have a better idea?

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Is Money Evil?

I am writing this document to help clarify the debate about Money.

There are some who claim that “money is evil”, “money is the root of all evil” or “money is a social bad”. This is actually an often misquoted Bible reference from the New Testament: "The love of money is the root of all evil" (1 Timothy 6:10, KJV). I hope that this article will dispel both the myth and misrepresentation of the myth by presenting a case for a monetary system which we could and should love; a monetary system based on the exclusion of usury (interest) – a practice which is, in itself, condoned by most of the major religions.

The argument goes that if we look at all the problems in the world we can trace them back to 'money'. Therefore, 'money' is the cause of the problems and if we get rid of 'money' we will solve the problems and be better off.

On the face of it, there is a lot going for this train of thought, but there are a few problems with it if we de-construct it a little.

Firstly “money is the root cause of evil”. But what is the root cause of money? People are the root cause of money, so it figures that people are the root cause of evil. And people are the root cause of all good also, because both good and evil are human concepts and both will die with us.

So, get rid of people and we cure all our ills. True, but the keen sense of self-preservation exhibited by our DNA forbids this path, so we are stuck with ourselves for short to medium term (while “in the long run we are all dead”[1])

Secondly, it is the premise of this article that money is no more than a tool, much like an axe is a tool.

Finally, this article hopes to show that money, as a tool, can be a social good. Money is an economic tool while an axe is a woodland tool, yet both are tools and both can be used for good or ill. With an axe it is easy to see that I can chop fallen logs into fuel to feed my fire to heat my family which is a good use of the axe and one which promotes prosperity for me, my family and eventually the community. Equally I could use my axe to kill my family and neighbours which is a bad use of the axe which hinders my prosperity and theirs.

It may be a little harder to see how money can be used for good and for ill, and this is why this paper exists.

What is Money?

First we need to define money. This part references Chris Martenson of the 'Crash Course'[2] to help illustrate the point.

Money has three main properties:

-         Money is a store of value

-         Money is a medium of exchange

-         Money is a unit of value

Overarching these is the fact that money is a claim on human labour.

In the past, many different things were used as money: shells, cows, tobacco; in fact pretty much anything can be used as a 'medium of exchange'. I will be focusing on this property of money in the main because it is the simplest and most commonly understood.

Is money evil?

Well, does it make sense to think of our ancestors as evil when they used sea shells from the sea shore as a medium of exchange? Or were the sea shells themselves evil? Or was their use as a facilitator of complex bargaining evil? And what is the difference between sea shells and modern money?

I would say that money is not evil, our ancestors were not evil or corrupted, that the sea shells were perfectly benign and their use as a facilitator of complex bargaining patterns showed a natural and sophisticated use of abundant natural resources.

So what is the difference between sea shells and modern money? Well, I'd say it all starts going wrong when 'she sells sea shells on the sea shore'. And what do I mean by that?

Let take a look:

Sea shells are more or less infinitely abundant. This is a useful property of a monetary system. Earlier we saw that money is a 'medium of exchange'. We can also say that money is a 'measure' of exchange. We see this today in the global economy when we talk of GDP. GDP is a measure of all the transactions in the economy in a financial year, and we measure that in Sterling, dollars, yen, etc.[3] So if money is a measure, why is it the only unit of measure in short supply? Why don't we ever go bankrupt for inches, litres or kilos?

The answer lies in the old tongue twister; “she sells sea shells on the sea shore”. And if we substitute 'she' for 'national central banks' and 'sea shells' for 'money' than we can see that the banking system has positioned itself in-between the people and the infinite resource of economic measuring devices and is using its privileged position to sell us the 'money' which was previously free for all.[4]

It is worse than that, however, because the banks sell us money as debt with interest attached, so we have to pay back the money we borrow plus the interest on that money. The banks control the money supply and charge a premium for its use. And money is scarce because the total debt is always bigger than the total money supply, because:        total debt = total money supply + interest

This is because all money is created as debt. I refer you here, again to Chris Martenson and his fantastic “Crash Course” on economics, energy and the environment which available to view free online.[5]

A scarcity of money creates competition for it and in competitions there are always winners and losers. In our current competition we can see that the banks are the winners and the rest of us are the losers and it must be that way because of the rules of the game.

The Rules of the Game

Here are the rules of the current game which we can call “Modern Monetary Economics” or the ME economy.

-         Monetary system owned by a small elite with the monopoly on money creation.[6]

-         Money created as interest bearing debt.[7]

-         All money is always eventually making its way back to the banks.

-         Scarce money creates competitiveness amongst players and some losers in the game. This leads to anti-social behaviour on the part of the game's players.[8]

-         Interest means the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

-         The constant need for a larger monetary supply (to feed the interest on the debt of the existing money supply) causes inflation.[9]

-         Inflation damages the currency's ability to act as a 'store of value' because more money chasing the same amount of goods reduces the purchasing power of the currency.[10]

-         Having to pay back the initial loan plus interest means that the economy must always grow to fulfill its debts. Constant growth means acceleration of the rate of environmental degradation and ever faster resource depletion.

So we can see from the rules of the game that many of the ills of our world are a direct result of the terms under which our monetary system operates. Economic disparity, poverty, anti-social business practices, inflation, constant growth, environmental degradation, depleted natural resources; all these are directly caused by the nature of our monetary system.

They are not caused by 'money' per se, they are caused by the particulars of our current monetary system. They are caused by the people who are living under this 'bad' monetary system. People are a product of their environment. Place people in a selfish, greedy, inequitable economic environment than the chances are that a majority of people will end up behaving in a selfish and greedy manner.

So can we imagine a healthy economic environment which we would be happy passing on to our grandchildren?

Well we might like an economic environment which supports community as well as the individual; one which encourages co-operation amongst its players and one which is sustainable, both economically and environmentally.

Luckily we don't have to re-invent the wheel ourselves because it has already been done. The basic idea is contained in what is called Local Exchange Trading Schemes or LETS.[11] Although in the modern era, LETS does not need to be constrained to being just 'local'.

Lets skip straight to the rules of a LETScheme and see how they compare to the ME economy above:

-         The members own the money supply.

-         Everyone starts with a zero balance.

-         Credit is created only when a transaction occurs. This eliminates monetary-led inflation which secures the currency's longevity as a stable measure of exchange.

-         There is NO interest payable on either debits or credits. This eliminates the growing economic disparities of the ME economy. It also reduces the need for constant growth and makes easier the sustainable stewardship of our natural resources.

-         Money circulates through the law of reciprocity and all members hold the sovereignty of the currency equally.

-         Abundant and free credit means there is always enough money in the system which reduces competition and anti-social behaviour patterns and replaces them with generous, open and co-operative patterns of communitarian behaviour.

So here we have a monetary system which promotes a whole host of social 'goods': equity, fairness, abundance, co-operation and sustainability.

Conclusion

We have seen how money in and of itself cannot be considered 'good' or 'evil' because it is a tool which can be put to good or ill by the people who use it.

We have also seen that the rules of our current monetary system indicate bad design and we have seen how the specific nature of it dumps its negative externalities on the global majority.

We have also seen one example of a monetary system which has been designed with people put above profit and how, with a good understanding of the nature of money, we can design better economic systems which promote socially beneficial outcomes for all concerned and not just a small minority.

The ultimate premise of this article is that we the people must reclaim our right to a free and abundant monetary system and deny the big banks their monopoly on the right to create money. We have it within our power to redesign how we interact with each other and it is up to us to manifest the change we want to see in the world

[1]          John Maynard Keynes, A Tract on Monetary Reform, London: Macmillan, 1924

[2]             http://www.peakprosperity.com/crashcourse/chapter-6-what-money

[3]    http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=gdp

[4]    http://www.moneyasdebt.net/

[5]          http://www.peakprosperity.com/crashcourse/chapter-7-money-creation

[6]    http://www.webofdebt.com/excerpts/foreword.php

[7]    http://www.moneyreformparty.org.uk/money/the_economy/inflation.php

[8]    http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/ethics/Edney32.htm

[9]    www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/other/monetary/lowinflation.pdf

[10]  http://www.economic-data.com/value_of_money.htm

[11]        www.letslinkuk.net/

Crash's picture
Crash

there we go. thanks idoctor. I was reluctant to post the whole thing cos of its length.

crash

silvervarg's picture
silvervarg

It all seems nice to have all the money you need in the system (never goes short) and no interest to pay when borrowing money.

Problem is that there are a few fundamental flaws in the system that becomes clear after a while, and that is why LETS break down.

Since there is no interest there is never a hurry to pay back. In fact the best desction for the individual would be to never pay back. Borrowing more is also better. Eventually you realize that you can never pay back, so you go broke.

What happens then? Is there a punishment when you go broke and give up? There could be, but perhaps now severe enough.

Will the lender get anything back when you go broke? NO. That means they are the big loosers. This is the main reason to have an interest attached to debt where the interest is based on the risk of not getting your money back. When not having an interest the best couse of action is not to lend out any money.

I do fully agree that the ME enconomy has flaws, but I have to say that the flaws in LETS that I have read about have been so bad that they are bound to fail. Perhaps an ME economy will fail as well, but at least it has a good chance to live a lot longer.

If the "monopoly on money creation" in the ME acts with care it could work forever. Unfortunately this is far from allways the case.

sharetips033's picture
sharetips033

Why is it that many people say "Money is the root of all evil". Is it because the individual's who say this have had negative experiences with money. I tend to think so. This statement is just false. If money were the root of all evil, then how do you explain a serial killer? Are you really telling me that they do what they do because of money? No, I refuse to believe that.

ao's picture
ao

The statement, "Money is the root of all evil", is untrue because it is misquoted.  The actual reference in the Bible refers to the love of money being the root of all evil.  There's a BIG difference.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Money is evil.

Please send your money to:

Johnny Oxygen

555 Washington St.

Istoleyourmoney, KS. 66062

I will dispose of it for you. NO CHARGE.

TommyHolly's picture
TommyHolly

Read Francisco D'Aconia's speech on Money fromn Ayn Rand's "Atlus Shrugged"... nuff' said!

Link to entire speech: http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/index.php?news=1826

"So you think that money is the root of all evil?" said Francisco d'Anconia. "Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

-Tommy

DurangoKid's picture
DurangoKid

There's money and then there's money.  Which money are you talking about?  One kind of money, the kind we use, is bank credit and receipts for bank credit that our central bank can issue at its pleasure.  As it exists, it is a mechanism for charging rents on the use of money.  It is a tax on all value which, by the way, comes from your labor and nowhere else.  Money made on speculation or by charging rents on money are not earned, but are in reality a swindle.  As we've seen, when the swindle fails, the swindler makes out and everybody else suffers.  That's what happens when what was our government belongs to the bankers.  And yes, of course, the government mint prints notes.  Ever take a close look at what's printed on them?  I call your attention to two phrases.  "Federal Reserve Note" and "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private."  No surprise on the first one.  The Fed is the ultimate source of our currency.  The second one is telling in that it appears on a note issued on behalf of a private consortium of banks.  The government will accept it for the paying of taxes and the courts will consider private debts discharged if this note is offered in payment.  Can you imagine any other private concern with that kind of power?  What if the government passed a law saying that if you don't wear Levi's jeans you're considered nude in public and are subject to arrest?  No other brand or garment will do.  Not a bad deal for Levi Strauss.  So, I ask you, is a rigged game evil?

Now consider the money issued by Abraham Lincoln.  It's a note issued by the US Treasury.  The government prints it and spends it into the economy to keep the stock of money sufficient for trade and consumption.  As Lincoln himself said in so many words, it's the governments greatest creative power.  So, let's say the government prints up some money to build a bridge.  It buys steel, concrete, labor, etc.  That money is now free to circulate without paying rent on it to anyone ever.  A bridge fosters trade by increasing efficiency.  It adds value to the economy without an interest penalty.  Ask yourself what fraction of your tax dollars pay the interest on our current stock of money.  What value does that add to the economy of your household?  Now I ask you is a game where everybody who contributes something of value gets value in return evil?

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Money like a weapon is a tool...people choose which way to use it.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

idoctor wrote:

Money like a weapon is a tool...people choose which way to use it.

Yes.

And soon we will choose to use it as toilet paper.

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Yes.

And soon we will choose to use it as toilet paper.

Now Johnny if they could just help the wipng power of this paper by printing the last couple of President's pictures on it, it might help some LOL...

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Yessssss

Along with the last few Fed Chairs.

seema123's picture
seema123
Money?? in short i will

Money??

in short i will say..

"money is not everthing but..money is somthing"

William Martin's picture
William Martin
Money is not evil but the people

I have this philosophy that money is not evil. But the people who are completely in need of power to control others and/or in desire of getting something what they don't deserve only then they take money as everything for them and then is the start of crime, frauds, frodgery etc. I loved this article.

Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Regards,
William Martin
PPI Claims Made Simple

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Gods away on Business.

Food for your poor starved right hemisphere.

There is always free cheese in the mousetrap.

God has left in charge, Murders, Thieves and Lawyers.

There's a leak, there's a leak in the boiler-room and the ship is sinking, sinking.

Tom Waits.

vivancestero's picture
vivancestero
Money isnt evil

Money isn't evil. Try David Lichtenstein (http://www.crunchbase.com/person/david-lichtenstein) for example. He has a lot of them, but he used them for donations when Hurricane Sandy struck back in the days. Money simply is a tool, but the person can be either good or evil

Claudia Lee's picture
Claudia Lee
No, money is not evil.

No, money is not evil.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
The idea of money is at the root of our shared predicament

Money separates us.

fated's picture
fated
Money seperates us - witnessed first hand

Thank you for this video. (Jan - the captions are well in alignment with what the speaker says and portray his meaning).

The wisdom of our Aboriginal countrymen is on display here.

From what I've witnessed Aboriginal Australians fall into broadly distinct groups.

Those well integrated into the society imposed upon them by white man and benefiting from the modern day spoils. They have (perhaps fame and fortune), jobs, status as representative of aboriginal culture for tourism, sport, arts, or government panels, and good quality modern material possessions.

Those who are on the edges of this society. They live in our towns and rural areas and are low down on the socio-economic status. They are recipients of welfare or work poorly paid jobs, they have inferior quality posessions and poor accessibility to the services an 'average white person' like me can expect.  Accessibility is affected by distance (cost of service delivery), poverty, service delivery poorly aligned to cultural needs and safety, and a distrust of organisations/government who traditionally tried to kill off these people.

Then there is the group who don't want to live within white society and have been lucky enough to avoid migration to cities or areas away from their place of country. They stay living on country (Arnhem land is a great example of this). They accept what works for them from society and use it back in the area where they want to live. Culture is still lost and replaced with newer ways, but to a lesser extent.

Money affects all of these groups, as does racism and a damaged culture affecting spiritual health.

I have seen a fight break out between an older person, demanding a share of government pension, belonging to a younger person. The old way interacting with the new way. Tearing relationships apart (between people who need to be the first and foremost champions for each other's welfare).

I have also seen the old sharing style of relationship. It's based around rules that ensure survival.

Aboriginal people are wise, observant, deeply connected to the land, animals, weather and spirits, have a clever sense of humor, and are peaceful to be around. They share knowledge only when they think you are ready and worthy of it. Too see discrimination toward them saddens me, but I can understand why it occurs as it has been indoctrinated into most whites purely by osmosis as we grow up, and exacerbated through lack of caring to enquire about who these people really are.

I only wish more of them were living their old ways unaffected by modern life, because when collapse occurs they will be much better prepared to survive than us 'invaders' of their land. And they have not championed the destruction of our earth. I think preservation of any pre-industrialised culture is important if we are to hope to survive as a species.

I also think the unease some of us are feeling is a gentler version of the agony they have felt since being forcibly detached from their much reverred environment and life sustaining cultural practices.

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
well make my day!

Thank you for this video. (Jan - the captions are well in alignment with what the speaker says and portray his meaning).

Thank you so much for letting me know that a) someone was paying attention to what I said, and b) that you care. It means more than you can ever know.

I can't go on. I will go on.

Jan

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
and to reflect on your wonderful post

Your words resonate strongly as this largely mirrors the situation with our Aboriginal population here in Canada. The historical wrongs that have been perpetrated by white settlers on First Nations peoples across the globe is nothing short of cultural genocide. We have so many reparations to make. More than anything, we have so much to learn from them about how to live life well and in harmony with our surroundings.

Here in Canada this year, our 150th as a nation, we have designated this as The Year of Reconciliation. It is a step in the right direction. Hopefully we will see a continuation of people standing together as one to push back against the systemic discrimination and unrestrained corporate greed that has wreaked havoc to the point it has pushed us to the predicament we are in.

Money itself it not evil. It is how society has evolved to view money that is evil. Time for a change.

Jan

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Money hijacks the purpose of life

Money has turned what should be a song, a dance...into an Earth eating game and an all consuming scoreboard.

skipr's picture
skipr
evil money???

I think that profit is the evil one.  Money is just its conduit.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments